Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Negative Response Assignment (Meleia Hunt)


To: Nicole Tolman

From: Bill

Subject: Addressing Your Concern

Nicole,

            Firstly, I want to extend my gratitude to you and your family and thank you for your loyalty to Honda and myself. You have always purchased from us in the past and we strive to keep you satisfied through our services. We, here at Honda, are delighted for your decision to obtain your first vehicle through us.

            Secondly, I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention. You have clearly stated your disappointment, of not being able to reach your goals, with this vehicle. I admire your strategic planning of budget before purchasing your Civic and recognize your progression as a business student. My job, as a fellow business person and friend, is to eliminate any displeasure and provide a solution.

            Although, I cannot submit your request to the dealership to pay you monthly for over budget costs, I can address your concerns about gas mileage. I didn’t purposely mislead you on the estimated gas mileage. The figures I reported are based on the standard tests the whole industry was using at the time for all cars; not just Hondas. In fact, the new mileage estimates, which you reported, go into effect on the 2008 models. I considered the website you provided (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/) and found a few easy tips on how to get better gas mileage. I list them for your convenience:

  • Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gas. Fuel economy benefit: 5%–33%. Equivalent gasoline savings: $0.17–$1.15/gallon.
  • Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 50 mph. Fuel economy benefit: 7%–14%. Equivalent gasoline savings: $0.24–$0.49/gallon (Average savings, assuming drivers are willing to slow down 5 to 10 mph and fuel costs $3.47 per gallon).
  • Remove excess weight from trunk. Fuel economy benefit: 1%–2%/100 lbs. Equivalent gasoline savings: $0.03–$0.07/gallon.
  • Avoid excessive idling and AC usage. Fuel cost savings: $0.01–$0.03/min. (AC off), $0.02–$0.03/min. (AC on).
  • Using cruise control on the highway helps you maintain a constant speed and, in most cases, will save gas.
  • Keep your engine properly tuned. Fuel economy benefit: 4%. Equivalent gasoline savings: $0.14/gallon.
  • Keep tires properly inflated. Fuel economy benefit: up to 3%. Equivalent gasoline savings: up to $0.10/gallon.

Furthermore, Honda has agreed to extend the mileage warranty about 10 percent on all cars equipped with the faulty odometer. I have already updated your record to show the extended warranty period on your Civic. I hope that I have succeeded in assisting you work your way towards better gas mileage. Feel free to contact me with any more concerns that you may have in the future. I look forward to continuing our business and wish you a wonderful day.

Your friend, Bill

3 comments:

  1. I think that a big positive is how you acknowledged Nicole and her family as being loyal customers and expressed your desire to keep them happy. You put a lot of data in the email, which is good for information as well as redirection. You said you cannot "submit" her request, which makes it sound like a personal refusal to submit. That might be something to look into rewording. You also said that you were using data from all cars when you told her the gas mileage. That might be a distracting thing for someone who is already upset. This was really well written, it was difficult to find anything that even "might" need improvement. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. I like how you acknowledged her for being a business student and stating your understanding with her. It really showed that you cared about the customer. I also liked how you put the data with each point. putting it all in one spot makes it easier for Nicole to read it and she now won't have to go to the website to find more information. A few things I would change would be one I might go into a little more detail about the data. Nicole might need more explantation and understanding about the tips on gas Milage. Another thing I might change would be maybe cut out paragraph two and try and put it with the first paragraph. I would also see about the other paragraphs too. you may lose nicole while she's reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would explain why you have to refuse her request a little more instead of just stating it in my sentence because it might come off as unwilling to help. Also, I could definitely see why you would use "addressing your concern" as the subject but I think I would change the subject of the email to something more neutral so she doesn't have any kind of high hopes going into reading the refusal. But I did like how you made her feel like you heard what she had to say in the second paragraph. I also liked how you organized the email. The organization made it easy to read. Overall, it was really good!

    ReplyDelete