To: Nicole Tolman
From: Bill
Subject: Projected Mileage for Your New Vehicle
______________________________________
Nicole,
First, I would like to thank you for reaching out to me in
regards to this matter. I highly value the rapport that your parents and I have
developed over the years and was thrilled when you decided to become a member
of the Honda family as well. Your parents are loyal patrons and, clearly shown
by your initiative, have raised you to be a responsible and informed customer.
I am glad that you are clearly and openly communicating your dissatisfaction
with the gas mileage results of your new vehicle. Honda’s goal is for all
customers to feel encouraged and content throughout the entire buying process.
When you drive away from our lot, we want you to remain
confident in your decision to represent Honda while on the road. Therefore, my
responsibility as your Honda representative is to eliminate any potential miscommunications
or displeasures in your customer experience.
That being said, I cannot submit your request to the
dealership for monthly reimbursal of your gas costs. I never intended to mislead you regarding the
estimated gas mileage for your Civic, but wish to address your concerns.
The mileage projections that you shared with me from the
website, www.fueleconomy.gov, are based
upon standard assessments that the automotive industry was using for all vehicles, not just Hondas.
However, after further review of this site, I found some simple
tips on how to get better gas mileage. For your convenience, I selected a few
that you might find most applicable:
- Drive
more efficiently – Observing
speed limits and avoiding aggressive driving can lower gas mileage up to
33%. Every 5 miles you drive over 50 mph can lower your mileage by 7% or more.
- Keep your car in shape – Maintain regular upkeep of the engine, tires, filters, and oil.
- Plan & combining trips – Accomplish multiple tasks while within a certain area to minimize distance traveled.
In addition, due to the faulty odometer, Honda has agreed to extend
the mileage warranty on your vehicle approximately 10 percent. I have already
updated your record to reflect this important change.
Again, I applaud your analytical and investigative
skills and know that you have a bright future in the business field after
graduation. Please do not hesitate to let me know if there are any other ways that I can be of
assistance to you or your family.
All the best,
Bill
Valerie: I loved the paragraph stating we could not accept her claim. I also loved the bulleted/ highlighted tips. I do however think you tried to fluff it up a bit too much. Working in business I know you have to be nice, but very To-The-Point. The email was great just a bit cushiony at the top.
ReplyDeleteVery good. Perhaps a little too much in the way of friendly appeals, but there's nothing wrong with that. It just takes longer to get to the real purpose of the email. You also didn't mention that the mileage on her window sticker (which was probably the MPG she was expecting) was based on older standards. Overall, though, I liked your response.
ReplyDeleteThis email was very good in getting to the point of not accepting her request for the money. I like the fact that when the tips for saving gas were bulleted to make them stand out more. But I felt that this email was way too long due to the fact the reader will have to scroll a few times and try to understand what you are trying to say.
ReplyDelete