Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Negative Response

To: Nicole Tolman
From: Bill
Subject: 2005 Honda Civic Gas Mileage Issues

Good Afternoon Nicole,

                I remember the day that you and your folks came in to purchase your Civic. I have never seen a more excited or happy young woman in all my time here at Eastgate Honda. You were overjoyed to tell me how driving your new Civic would be an interesting experience for you in San Diego because you have never driven a standard transmission in a hilly area before. We talked about ways of starting and stopping on an incline that would be easy for you without adding unnecessary strain to your car. I recall you saying that your work was 20 minutes away from your school in a heavily populated area. I know that when I hit heavy traffic and have to wait through several light cycles it affects how much gas I use. Also living so far away from work is a challenge in the fuel economy department just by itself.

                Thank you for sending me the link to the website. Whenever there is new material out I find it important to read so that I can give my customers the most up to date information. This is a very informative website for all 2008 model cars. I don’t want you to feel misled by the website because that information is correct, but for the 2008 models, not the 2005 models.

                I took the liberty of updating your records for the faulty odometer, so your mileage warranty through Honda is now extended by about 10 percent to compensate. Although my dealership cannot give you $40 a month to help with the cost of gas I can help you identify outside circumstances that could be affecting your vehicle getting the best gas mileage it can get. Please call me at your earliest convenience and together we can work to find a solution that doesn’t hurt your pocketbook. Also I have left a book of free carwashes for you at the front desk, stop in at any time.

Sincerely,

Bill

2 comments:

  1. The free car washes is a great tip, but having the tips written out rather than communicating verbally may be the strongest way to get your point across, that way she can go back and reread the information if wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you started with good afternoon Nicole, it helps bring a positive atmosphere to the email. Also, acknowledging the day she came in to purchase the car and details about that day, show that you care about her as a customer. The free carwash booklet was a nice touch to smooth everything over. It was great how you brought up the standard transmission tips on how to save gas and showed how it pertained to her specifically, but maybe you should list a few more ways to help with gas mileage or put a little more detail on the tips you have listed (stopping and starting at lights). I know you tell her to call to discuss some gas mileage tips, but what if she doesn't want to take time to talk after she has read the email. I feel that the last sentence in the first paragraph kind of leaves you hanging instead of smoothly transitioning to the next point; maybe reword it or remove it.

    ReplyDelete