To: Tolman, Nicole
Subject: Your New Car
Nicole,
I was
sad to hear that you were less than happy with the performance of your new Civic. I know how large and important of a purchase
an automobile can be. That is why our continued
relationship with you and your family is so important to us here at Honda, and
how much we value your loyalty. Your
parents have been our customers for years, and we would like to keep their
loyalty and earn yours as well.
Regarding
your request for a $40 per month fuel stipend, I am afraid I must deny the
request, however. It is simply against
dealership policy. Also, the fuel
economy ratings for your car are based on an older rating system which is
scheduled to be replaced in the 2008 model year. The old tests used methods which were rather
different from most normal driving habits, and thus yielded higher economies
than most people achieve in everyday driving.
However, there are a few relatively simple methods that the website you
provided me with mentions that may improve your fuel economy and bring it more
in line with what you would like to achieve.
I have compiled a small list of what I believe to be the most useful
tips:
·
Driving more calmly – the website states that by
driving slower and avoiding rapid acceleration and braking, you can increase
your mileage by 33% on the highway and 5% in town
·
Removing excess weight – if you have unnecessary
items in your trunk, your economy can be reduced by 2% for every extra hundred
pounds
·
Using cruise control – cruise control helps you
maintain a constant highway speed and helps avoid unnecessary acceleration and
unnecessary downshifts which waste fuel
·
Properly inflating tires – improper tire
pressure can cause a .3% drop in fuel economy for every 1 psi drop in tire
pressure
·
Air conditioning – use of the air conditioning
system can reduce fuel economy by 25% or more, so on hot days, a better option
is rolling down the windows (it still reduces fuel economy, but by a much
smaller amount than air conditioning)
As you can see, there are ways to
increase your economy and save money by making very small changes to your
driving. I hope these tips will prove to
be of some use to you, and bring you greater satisfaction with your new
car. You also mentioned the issue of
your faulty odometer. Honda has extended
the warranty coverage on vehicles with such defects, and your warranty has
already been updated in our system. I
hope this eases your concern.
Well, Nicole, I would like to
thank you for presenting your concerns to me, and I hope that with the fuel
economy information, you can start achieving the mileage you desire, and
enjoying your car to the fullest. I wish
you good luck in your business school endeavors and hope to see you again!
-Bill
Your piece is very knowledgeable and personal. However, you may want to consider making changes to the beginning of your second paragraph. You absolutely make your point clear, but its a little strong and off-putting. Other than that, everything looked great.
ReplyDeleteEdwin, I actually like this submission, it appears to hit the key points clearly and provide a lot of information (might even cut it down and then link back to the site). The one item I would maybe modify is the last paragraph as its is mildly curt as I believe Kierra pointed out. All together I liked it. :)
ReplyDeleteThe way you wrote the first paragraph is great. It really shows how her and her family are important to you and how you are striving to keep her a happy customer. Also, bulleting the gas mileage tips makes the email organized and easy to read. Great way to end the email with a positive atmosphere and wish her luck in school (nice touch). I did have to reread the first sentence in the second paragraph a few times to get point, maybe rewording it will make it easier to understand. Other than that, you did a great job!
ReplyDelete